Friday, February 21, 2014

Real Life CSA: winter share 6

If you follow me on Twitter, you might have read that I was pretty excited about one item in particular - Bloody Mary mix. Well, it has arrived.



Ironically, I'm not even really a Bloody Mary fan. I have only had one in my life, and it was on a golf course at a work event. So probably some cheap tomato juice and bottom shelf vodka. But ever since having brunch at Meat & Potatoes and seeing their Bloody Mary bar, I have wanted to try one. A good one. Somehow I don't think Clarion River Organics will disappoint.

So after that rapture, let's get to the other goodies.



Pea shoots are a great addition to salads, so they will spruce up the lettuce and other greens. Carrots are always a great addition to salads too, but we also use them for making stock and as sides. Garlic never goes to waste in this house.

Mutsu apples are also called Crispin apples - they will be snacks, most likely. Cabbage might make it in some soup or haluski - maybe with the recipe provided by Penn's Corner

We've also really enjoyed the other products outside of the realm of regular produce. The tomatillo salsa that we got a few shares ago was ah-mazing, so I'm pretty psyched to try this farmer's market version.



Another fun addition this week was the popcorn. I am my grandfather's granddaughter, and enjoy salty popcorn above most other snack foods. I especially like it cooked in coconut oil - Mark's specialty. 



We officially signed up for Penn's Corner's full spring/summer/fall CSA, too. We have loved being customers of Kretschmann's for several years, so we didn't switch for any other reasons than convenience of pick-up location and the desire to try other farms and their offerings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment