Friday, March 7, 2014

Real Life CSA: winter share 7

We're on share 7 of 9 for the winter CSA, and there's still something new to get excited about each week. This week? Fermented cabbage!


I am loving the canned goods/pantry in this CSA. It takes the "use it up!" urgency out of all of the items. Plus, these are things we'd eat anyway. The honey puffed spelt is like a snack, it's so delicious. 


Watermelon radishes are ones I haven't really found great uses for, but this week's CSA blog had a recipe for watermelon radish chips. And anything that sounds like a snack I can salt sounds good to me. Might give those a whirl. 


Onions are one of those pantry staples that no one lists in their favorite items of produce, but they are the backbone of tons of recipes, and we use a LOT of them at Next Gen House. Always happy to get a few solid onions in the share.


Lettuce will spruce up this week's salads, and potatoes will likely be a side dish. I'm thinking balsamic roasted. We will also need to check out this cheese and see what it's best suited for.

We also got a free issue of Edible Allegheny magazine in this share. I am a subscriber, so I will pass this copy on to someone else, but it's a great magazine if you're interested in local food. (I was even featured in it, way back when!)  



Two more winter shares left. That means spring is on the way, right? Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment