Wednesday, July 2, 2014

2014 resolution update - July

This is the first year that I've made a concerted effort to work on actually completing my resolutions for the year. Perhaps it's because I didn't aim too high and made them realistic. Here's an update on how I'm doing at the halfway point in the year.

Mind
Read 75 books.
Today I will finish book #46, so I'm well on my way to that goal. I do have to get the sub-goals in of finishing Margaret Atwood's canon (6 more books) and one Russian door-stop novel. I've been reading a lot of books that are part of a series, so I end up going through the series and it delays my next choices. Even if I don't hit the sub-goals, I will still read more this year than in any year since graduate school. I'm also reading in genres outside of my comfort zone, which is pretty cool. (I am a total graphic novel and comic convert.)

Write letters on three issues to my elected representatives.
I haven't done another one since this post on the DARK Act. I need to get on that. I might write next about funding to reduce hunger.

Body
Run a marathon.
I'm in my 8th week of a 23 week training schedule. (Most plans are 18 weeks, but I am drawing mine out due to previous injuries and lingering issues with my IT bands.) Last week's long run was 13 miles, and it was the first time I ran that far when it wasn't a race, and only my fourth time at that distance at all. It was quite honestly one of the most difficult runs I've ever had - humid and disgusting outside, dehydrated big time. Everything was screaming at me to stop, and even though I had to walk more than I had hoped, I finished. (Which was really only because of the two awesome ladies I run with.) 


It's been good to be on a training schedule and to be following it. I've put in 246 miles so far this year and that number is about to go way up because it's going to get hard soon - after the holiday weekend we bump up to 15 miles for a long run and I go into distance territory that my body has never traveled. It's an adventure, this marathon training. Don't forget, I'm posting photos on Instagram under the hashtag #yearofthemarathon in case you want to follow along on the adventure.

Drink 64 ounces of water a day.
I really need to kick this into high gear during this marathon training, because even though I do drink water constantly, I am always fighting being dehydrated in this weather. And I was doing some research this week that dehydration while running can also increase your heart rate, which is something I'm hyper sensitive to as an asthmatic.

Home
Start my home brew kombucha.
Done and done. Completely knocked this one out of the park, and it might be the coolest thing I accomplished this year (unless I do complete the marathon, that is). Read about it here

Sew a t-shirt quilt.
Making slow progress on this one. I finished cutting all of the squares for my quilt this weekend. (I'm technically getting materials together for two, planning to start with my own quilt to get the hang of it before I do Mark's.) Now it's time to fire up my grandma's sewing machine, which will hopefully happen in July.

Can one new thing.
Technically I've met this goal with our strawberry vanilla jam, a variant I hadn't made before. But since I think the spirit of this was for me to do something entirely new, I won't count this done yet. But it will be full on canning season in the next couple months.

Plant a bee-friendly flower garden.
Didn't really get around to planting specifically bee-friendly plants, but we definitely have more flowers this year compared to last, which is at least a step in the right direction.

Make the chickens some treats.
I actually completely forgot about this one, so this is a good reminder. Perhaps because of the heat and humidity, I'll make something that's refreshing for them.

Organize the basement.
The basement has stayed relatively organized since we transitioned one side of it to a work area for Mark. I still have a few things I'd like to do down there, especially to get a root cellar ready for later this year. But it's better than it used to be (at least when Stormy and Vader don't knock food bowls all over the place).



How are you doing on your goals for 2014? Share them in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment