Saturday, July 6, 2013

Real Life CSA: week 5, produce

The extra day's wait for our CSA because of the holiday was worth it this week. 


The most exciting news? THE FIRST TOMATO OF THE YEAR is here. (Granted, it's in the window sill in the kitchen, waiting to fully ripen.) 


Ever since reading Tomatoland I haven't been one for tomatoes out of season. Florida tomatoes are tasteless and rock hard by the time they get to Pennsylvania. So the first tomato of the season has become one of my favorite things to look forward to in the summer. I can't wait for this one to ripen a little bit. It's a little early for tomatoes here, so I'm not surprised this one is green. Maybe it jumped off the vine and into our CSA box because it knew how badly I wanted it?

The lettuce is looking beautiful this week. Can't wait to make salad with this.


We also got more garlic scapes, so it's probably time for some pesto. I am pretty happy to see two zucchini as well this week. Zucchini in the grocery store looks so anemic in the winter - teeny tiny little shriveled things that cost $3.99 a pound. Pretty soon farmers will be begging for people to just take them away!

I might give kale chips another try. The last time I made them they were tasteless and sort of bitter, so I'm going to see if I can make them work this time. I've read massaging the leaves helps. Maybe it just needs some TLC.

Cabbage might make it into haluski or it might be a good time to try for some sauerkraut...

No comments:

Post a Comment