It's really hard to admit when a project that you think you have a handle on ends up as an abject failure. But we brought them outside too soon, and did not bring them in as often as we should have, so the cold got them first. And then the series of hail storms and torrential rains finished them off. Really I can't even share a photo of them because it's just too sad after all the hard work and love we put into them.
Right now I feel adamantly against trying to grow from seed next year, after the time and money we spent this season which was wasted. But the desire to try, try again is strong in me, so I'm sure come late winter next year you'll see me posting about which seeds we're starting. For now, we have to turn to Plan B.
Thankfully we still had time to order healthy seedlings from Penn's Corner, who supplied them from several of their member farms as well as Grow Pittsburgh. After prepping the beds last weekend, Mark planted the tomatoes and peppers yesterday and I potted the herbs.
This bed has pepper plants, as well as extra room where we're going to try a couple of our direct-seed items. Perhaps we'll grow something from seed after all this year.
We rotated tomatoes out of the bed where we had them last year (which has yet to be filled). This year they have plenty of room in this "pen" garden.
We also collect eggshells during the garden season, dry them out and "give" them to the tomatoes. It's worked well for us in the past.
We also have a berry bush growing, which was rather unexpected, since we thought it wasn't going to make it, after a shipping problem. Seems like it's holding on so far.
So that's the story of how we lost all of our seedlings, but still ended up with a planted (or mostly planted) garden. Now we just need to finish the last bed, fill up the existing ones and get the flowers planted, and the backyard will be complete. One step (and one failure!) at a time!