Wednesday, April 16, 2014

2014 resolution update

Usually by this time of year, the resolutions I made in January are like a distant, vague memory. But this year in a stunning turn of events, I've been staying on track. So seeing that we're about one third of the way through the year, I thought I'd check in.

Mind
Read 75 books.
I just finished #23 this week, so I'm on track to meet my goal. I need to still pick up a Russian doorstop novel along the way, as well as several more Margaret Atwoods to finish her canon. But so far, so good. Man do I love to read! 

Write letters on three issues to my elected representatives.
I have one down, two more to go on this front. For my most recent letter, see this post on the DARK Act recently introduced in the House. Bad news.

Body
Run a marathon.
Well, I'm in training. 
This Saturday marks my first race of the season - the Boston Trail half marathon (not in Boston). That's followed up by my town's 5K the following weekend, and then the Pittsburgh Marathon Half on May 4. Don't forget there's still time to donate to my fund for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank! Shameless plug! I'm only $5 away from $600!

Also, I'm posting photos on Instagram under the hashtag #yearofthemarathon in case you want to follow along on the adventure.

Drink 64 ounces of water a day.
Doing pretty well with this one, especially through the day at work. I also carry my water bottle around with me at home, and really it's only after runs that I don't do so well rehydrating. Going to keep working on that.

Home
Start my home brew kombucha.
Fail. Still nervous. Will make it happen this summer though.

Sew a t-shirt quilt.
Making good progress on this one, especially since it's something I have zero experience in. I have Mark's shirts all prepped and ready with interfacing, and mine are almost complete. Then it's time to get the sewing machine cranking! I've even had an apprentice. Isn't he helpful?

  

Can one new thing.
Not quite into canning season yet, so this one will be a summer thing.

Plant a bee-friendly flower garden.
I recently did some research on bee-friendly plants that do well in our area, with info from the Penn State Extension. Look for a post about that in the near future!

Make the chickens some treats.
Winter has made me not want to go outside with them more than necessary, so probably once I'm in the backyard with them more often, I'll be more inclined to start making some treats.

Organize the basement.
The basement has come light years from what it was. This is a pretty significant accomplishment, as it's now a more usable space for both Mark and me. And we've kept it relatively in order!


How are you doing on your goals for 2014? Share them in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joanna - I am a fellow Pittsburgher and I started making kombucha after taking a class at Whole Foods this winter. It is so easy you would not believe! Give it a try - and I have extra scoby babies and a gallon jar if you need them to get started! Just let me know via email - clouse91@me.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a scoby and all of the materials to do it - I just haven't taken the leap yet. I don't really know what I'm afraid of. Maybe because I feel like it's an "advanced" homesteading type thing, even though logically I know that's totally ridiculous?

      Delete
  2. bee balm, lavender, seedum, and yarrow the bees love them and they come back every year!

    ReplyDelete